Sep 14, 2011, 4:18 PM EDT
Sometimes all you need is Roy Halladay and a couple of hits to put an end to the losing ways. Doc was sharp against the Astros, finishing the day after throwing all 9.0 innings and allowing 6 hits while striking out 7 and walking only 1.
The win clinches the Phillies their 5th-straight spot in the postseason and earned Roy his 18th win of the season.
There was no real celebration on the field following the game, the goal is to lock the division up and follow that up with three-straight playoff series victories.
As for the Houston finale today, the Fightins’ were stifled all day by the always dominant Bud Norris who allowed only 4 hits in 7.0 innings of work. But a pair in the first inning got the Phillies an early lead and it was all Roy Halladay after that.
Shane Victorino led off the game with a double to deep center before being plated by the batwork of Placido Polanco who singled up the middle to put the Phillies up 1-0 after only four pitches.
Halladay got into some major trouble in the bottom of the second when the Astros loaded the bases with no outs. Carlos Lee reached on an error, that Bogusevic guy singled to left, and Paredes reached on a bunt single. That’s when Cyborg Halladay flipped the switch and forced Altuve to ground out, getting the runner at the plate. He got out of the inncing by forcing Quintero to ground into a double play and the goose egg was intact on the Astros scoreboard.
It would stay that way the rest of the day with Roy throwing a complete game shutout.
Clinching a playoff berth after 146 games is a team record and the magic number to clinch the NL East crown now sits at 4.
Feels good. You know they’re headed to the playoffs officially. Plenty more work to be done.
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money