May 23, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Philllippe Aumont made just four relief appearances over the past two weeks amid whispers he could be sent down to the minors. Aumont’s last two appearances didn’t help his cause, as the big righty got rocked in each, and on Wednesday it was finally reported he would report to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
While this has been a disappointing development for the 24 year old and the Phillies’ bullpen though, Charlie Manuel was upbeat about it. Via the Inquirer’s Matt Gelb, the skipper still envisions a day when Aumont could be a vital piece late in games.
“He has all the potential in the world,” Manuel said. “One of these days, Aumont has a chance to be a big-time back-end bullpen piece. But right now he needs to pitch and get regular work in to develop his pitches.”
“We’re going to always need pitchers,” Manuel said. “He’s definitely high on our radar as a prospect.”
Aumont got off to an okay start in 2013, getting stuck with a couple of losses on unearned runs, but the wheels were bound to come off. He’s walked 10 batters in 16 appearances, and he’s only had one clean inning all season where he surrendered zero hits or freebies back on April 23. Sooner or later that had to catch up with him.
Obviously his command needs work, but that’s been the report on Aumont since he came to the organization from Seattle in the Cliff Lee trade. He’s young, and it’s hard not to like an imposing, hard-throwing righty in this mold, so you just have to hope he can tweak a few things during this minor-league stint.
Gelb believes Mike Stutes could be promoted, his first trip back to the Majors since being shut down last April with a shoulder injury. No announcement is expected until Friday.
>> Phillippe Aumont demoted; could Mike Stutes return? [Phillies Zone]
|Nick Russo on 3 Stars: Giroux, Voracek pace…|
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return