Jan 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick has a nice recap of the Philadelphia Phillies odd offseason. The moves they didn’t make, like trading Jonathan Papelbon or Dom Brown. The moves they did make, like Marlon Byrd, Chooch, Roberto Hernandez, and Bobby Abreu. It points out their obvious aging issues and also notes the organization being prisoners to their own sentiment.
All stuff Phillies fans are quite familiar with by this point. But one of the parts of Crasnick’s article I found interesting was the take on the Phillies being “Sabermetrically impaired.” It included these quotes from Amaro:
“We’re trying to move that piece of our organization forward a little bit,” Amaro said. “It’s an area that hasn’t necessarily been abandoned, but it hasn’t been developed as much as some other organizations. I think we’re somewhere in the middle.
“The important thing is to understand what’s really important and what’s minutiae. What data can we use to change some things for the better?”
Okay, so that last part isn’t so bad. It’s actually what they should be doing. Or, perhaps more accurately, should have been doing for years now.
Better late than never?
>>Odd offseason for the aging Phillies [ESPN]
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return