May 20, 2012, 1:23 AM EDT
David Ortiz took a mighty hack, and the FOX broadcast cut to center field where Shane Victorino was tracking the fly ball. As the Flyin’ Hawaiian approached the wall, chasing as if he might leap the fence to bring this one back, pursuit finally gave way to surrender. The ball vanished into the ivy as if it never landed, eliciting a resigned “Where did that one go?”
It was Boston’s fourth home run of the game, each one seemingly deeper than the last, and it was the moon shot that would finally put them over the top. If any of these guys are gonna be the Home Run Derby this July, they might consider enlisting the services of Joe Blanton, as he was on the hook for all of ‘em in Saturday’s 7-5 loss. The Phillies’ win streak ends on six.
Blanton only lasted four and a third in his worst start of the year by far. He didn’t do himself any favors defensively either, dropping a sure out at first, and mishandling another potential play by the bag. Charlie Manuel nearly pinch hit for him during the bottom of the fourth, but a Freddy Galvis two-run home run drew the Fightins back within one, and out Blanton went to bat in a 5-4 contest.
The Phils had five players with multiple hits, and two more who reached base, so the lead was not exactly insurmountable. They faltered in the clutch though, going 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position. Still, five runs ought to be enough to win most nights.
The other bright spot was the bullpen. Raul Valdes, Joe Savery, and Jose Contreras combined for 4.2 innings of scoreless ball, giving the Phillies a chance right up to the end. They can still have the last laugh today in the CBP series finale at 1:35. We’ll take a look at the pitching match-up and lineup a little later on.
|Momby on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|Jay D on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|willh888 on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|galasso2586 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return