Report: Glen Macnow done on WIP afternoon show, shuffles roles at CBS radio

Dec 19, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

You may have heard a couple of weeks back about Glen Macnow’s contract dispute with Sports Radio 94 WIP. Macnow has been with the station two decades but rumors were swirling that the station was not going to renew his contract in 2014.

Today, Philly.com reports that Macnow has reached an agreement with the station that will keep him on the WIP and other CBS radio station airways, but in a different capacity. He’ll no longer be part of the Afternoon Show with Anthony Gargano, the report says.

According to a WIP release, Macnow will continue to host his long-running Saturday midday show with Ray Didinger, and will appear on other CBS-owned area stations.

The release did not mention a return to his weekday afternoon spot with Gargano and industry sources told philly.com that Gargano will instead partner with Rob Eillis, with that announcement expected soon.

Expect to hear Glen on pre and postgame shows on WPHT for Phillies broadcasts as well as on certain KYW 1060 shows that we’re unfamiliar with.

Fan opinions of sports radio hosts are often wide ranging, but Macnow always came off as more of a thoughtful host than the type to put on a circus act and say outlandish things in an attempt to get people to listen. He rarely berated callers or hung up on them.

Thoughtful analysis is often hard to find on the airwaves. Macnow’s is appreciated.

I enjoyed the Gargano and Macnow pairing for the most part. Curious to see what the host shuffle will do to my listening habits in 2014.

UPDATE: All of the reports have been confirmed. Ellis will replace Macnow on the afternoon show and Ellis’ 6-10 pm slot will be filled by Josh Innes who has been working on a CBS station in Houston. He’s apparently a Cardinals fan.

1. James - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Cuz and Goose RIP

2. Carolanne - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I am very disappointed that Glen will not be pairing with Anthony in the afternoons. I always thought it was a match made in heaven. The article is correct – Glen has always been a gentleman with the callers and was a great listener. I do listen on Saturday mornings but I will miss the ride home with him.

• johnoley - Dec 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Gargano should have been the one leaving the studio. irritating voice of a blow hard.

when he goes he should be taking cataldi with him

• scott - Jan 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I couldn’t agree more that Gargano should be the one to leave. He’s become a synthetic ego who has lost touch w/the peeps who want Philly sports talk, not phony contrived banter. Ike Reese is horrible & ill-prepared…Mike has to carry that show. The “overnight show” needs a fresh voice too…Big Daddy is not funny at all…please retire him!!!

• Ben F. Eagle - Jan 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Agreed. Gargagno is an obnoxious, smug draftnik loser. If you like listening to 16 year old smug boys talk about sports in a blissfully unrealistic manner then you will like “Anth.” I am so sick of hearing about his cousins and buds and his sons. “Bob means jobs from Valleypuke Bank” is a total dork. How can they possibly think they are cool? Ah, ignorance is bliss.

Glenn is the real deal. The only WIP host worth listening to. He is intelligent, quick witted and respectful to all but the most obnoxious of callers. His show with Didinger will be the only one I listen to. Those 2 are sports talk at its zenith.

Ever since it debuted I listen to Mike and Mike on 97.5 on the morning drive. Ike and Mike are a waste of time. Can’t stand Anthony Garbanzo bean. Can’t stand Missanelli. He and his cuz must have loser genes; they certainly have ugly genes. Talk about perfect faces for radio…

I guess it’s music for me.

Hey Anth, go eat some incredible meat while you gloat over your success at having stabbed Glenn in the back twice now in ten years.

3. sfsu - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Condescending and dumb is a really bad combo. Now if they can force out Gargano’s unbelievably overdone shtick, then maybe 97.5 will need a few extra years to completely kill WIP.

• Bn - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Gargano is better than anyone on 97.5. That includes Pissanelli and Tony Bruno. 97.5 will never kill WIP because its the true talk of Philly.

• Lol - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

It’s “Pissandsmelly”. Get it right!

• 5for5 Chris - Dec 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I think CBS will kill WIP. Why bring in someone from Texas to talk sports in Philly? Will they bring in Jim Rome next?

• Chutley - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Gargano without a ‘technician’ is kind of useless. Macnow gave his Joe Philly thing some actual substance.

• stb5048 - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

*The Bad*
      Missanelli is aweful. He argues incessantly with every caller regardless of whether they argree with him or not. He is a pompous blowhard. And 97.5 has Mike and Mike in the morning instead of a Philly morning show (I guess they are contractually obligated?). Gargano can be a little over the top and can get old. Bruno isn’t quite as knowlegable as he should be (or perhaps doesn’t have very much insight).

*The Good*
      I do like Bruno as a personality, and Jon and Sean on 97.5; and Rob Ellis and Mike and Ike on WIP. I do like Macnow.

I really don’t have a favorite station, I just choose what I listen to based on the host and what mood I’m in.

• willh888 - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM

What mood is that… strong desire to drive your car into a maple tree tuesday?

• BCB - Dec 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Jon and Sean?! They suck! Their show consist of Sean’s fake urban speak and ripping off other shows then adding something stupid to it to make it seem original. 6 for 6 is a rip off of the 4 for 4 on WIP. The suicide pool was ripped off from Gargano and Macnow. Jon and Sean? 2 fucking dorks behind a mic is a pretty good description of the show.

I dig Bruno and Mayes though. It sucks their show doesnt go till 1 so I dont have an hour between them and the WIP Mid-day guys. I don’t like Mike and Ike either but will listen to them over Jon and Urban Sean if I have to.

4. 33 - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I don’t get to see the ledger, but I don’t understand some of the moves this station makes (nor 97.5). The hosts it keeps (particularly Angelo), the ones it lets get away. I do like Rob Ellis, so this is no slight to the decision to move him up, but less Glen on air = less me listening.

Intelligence, wit, a keen memory and appreciation of of history, sports acumen… I even like his crankiness, bc it’s usually aimed at weak calls. I’m not sure what they’re looking for in a host if it’s not Glen. Personally, I’d love to see him get his own show back from 6-10 PM, just trade with Rob. I know that’s not the way it works, but I don’t envy the guy coming in from Houston taking over a Philly show.

5. CBS - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Nope, he had to go. He’s ok w/ Ray but obnoxious and condescending with Anthony. Their “I love Charlie” farewell tour is just an example of the loss of objectively on that show. Now the other one has to go, too. Enough brother-in-lawing.

• sfsu - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

“He’s ok w/ Ray but obnoxious and condescending with Anthony.”

Exactly. He’s too scared to be himself around the ALMIGHTY Didinger, but once he’s gone, he turns into the condescending d-bag.

At least Angelo/Eskin know that they come off as jerks; Macnow doesn’t realize it, and that’s why he’s the worst on the station.

6. Mike - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’ve never been a Macnow fan, and always thought his “guy stuff” schtick was worse than his Top Ten list nonsense. That said, Gargano is unlistenable. What kind of halfwit meets a guy in a bar and decides to write a whole big story, without any fact checking. The “violations” and other garbage are grade school nonsense. That station is a complete mess, and the one up the dial is even worse.

7. sfsu - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

“Macnow always came off as more of a thoughtful host than the type to put on a circus act and say outlandish things in an attempt to get people to listen.”

Of course not, that was Gargano’s job

8. David Breslin - Dec 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Macnow and Gargano complimented each other well; I will be curious to see if Rob Ellis can provide the kind of stability required to counter Gargano.

While I don’t like the schtiks that come along with sports talk radio, they exist everywhere. I at least appreciate the guys who are true sports fans and have the history and knowledge to support their arguments. Glen was one of them guys.

9. red2gold - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I have never been a fan. He is not clever enough to play the ‘smart guy’ or cool enough to play the ‘guy’s guy”.

10. Vince - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

There goes another host that doesn’t mind talking hockey. Getting anyone besides Morganti to talk Flyers on WIP has been tough since the game broadcasts moved to the Fanatic.

11. Lol - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

The commute home just got worse.

12. mslavick - Dec 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Gargano’s bro-ski and I-hate-statistics act is the worst. I do like Rob Ellis and feel kind of bad that he’s paired up with that bozo.

13. John Doe - Dec 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Who the hell is Josh Innes and why would your bring a out of towner to talk Philly sports. 97.5 just gained some more listeners.

• 33 - Dec 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

To be fair, bringing in someone from out of town isn’t an anomaly. Glen is from Buffalo, for example. And, some of the comments above would reflect that being from the area (Ant, Mikey Miss) doesn’t necessarily get you much on its own.

• LAJ - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM

True, but Glen’s lived here over 20 years now and is an honest local sports fan.

14. officialgame - Dec 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Praise be Jesus. This guy is the pits and doesn’t deserve his fantastic job because he doesn’t work at his craft.Do you ever see this know it all clown at a press conference or coming up with a scoop. No. He doesn’t interview players and rarely goes to the games. What a phony!!!

15. Marvin Monroe - Dec 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I would love to hear Gargano with Rhea Hughes and Joe Conklin for the afternoon drive.

But then again, I do have a profound hearing loss.

16. kammergame - Dec 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

The “Cuz” is such a phony blowhard I hope his raitings drop off the cliff due to 97.5. Mike Miss. is better than Cuz, even though he can be annoying & selfcentered at times he is nowhere nearly as bad Gargano. Bruno is the best on the radio & he should go back to doing his 10 -2 shift with Mays.

17. Mike Miss - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Just come listen to my show and oh boy how bad is the Mike And Ike show TERRIBLE

18. Tom - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I hope Rob is up to carrying that stiff Gargano.

19. irishphilly87 - Dec 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I think Philly sports radio is at an all time low.. Macnow wasn’t the problem. “Cuz” is more the problem in my opinion because he thinks he knows bounds and bounds more than Macnow, and it made for bad chemistry. When Macnow would be on with Ellis, he’d be great, or when hes on with Ray Diddy, hes a pleasure to listen to. But with Gargano being a know it all about the game, and a dbag when he always talks about the people he knows around the league aka 1 person Spags…gimme a break… I also cant stand Gargano’s annoying South Philly pals Tastykake Dom, Boo, and last but not least Sammy Saggs…Saggs breaking down game film this year on oline play? Gimme a break… i havent been able to listen to them steadily for a year… and I used to think Angelo was entertaining, but he’s passed his course with me. Dont even get me started on 97.5…. Sean Brace just wants to act cool, and has little to no facts yet him and Jon Marx are the midday guys? Thats the best we have to offer? They just want to be entertaining rather than having knowledge… I want to listen to a sports radio where the guy is capable of spitting out Philly sports knowledge…one I respect. They aint it. Oh and last but not least Mikey Miss…guy truly wishes he came out of the wound as a black man the amount he sucks so much brotha d*** He goes so overboard on the asskissing with any black person, athlete, caller…. Come on man, you’re from freaking Boyertown or wherever the F you’re from…not North Philly…He also talks all the time about his baseball days…thats great Mikey thats great….. Please get some true Philly sports people, we have so many diehard 4 for 4 fans in this town start doing the due dilligence and find them.

• LAJ - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I agree. Robbie E and Glen are good together and Glen and Ray Diddy are as well especially since they are friends they have “real conversations” and discussions about sports.

20. badman - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM

This is a stupid,stupid move by WIP!! Gargano will have to pull his own weight now as well as the weight of bland/vanilla Rob Ellis. I guarantee this new lineup will change by the end of 2014.Now all I listen to is CBS Sports Radio 610. John Feinstein is the best talk show on either 610 or 94WIP.

21. Lol - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

How do people like Rob Ellis? That guy makes me want to slit my wrists he’s so frigging negative.

I don’t know what’s worse about Pissandsmelly, his whiny, high pitched voice, or his personality.

22. Rob is good - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Rob Ellis is one of the better host on WIP..
    the rest of them are old, stagnant, boring, dry, and shameless.

WIP has become a money-grabbing, self-plugging station.
    Reuben straight plugs his twitter account every few minutes.
    G Cobb plugs his pay website.
    Big Daddy plugs everything imaginable.
    Glen MacNow plugs anything he can get free.
    Anthony Gargano plugs how great of a dad he is.

They all suck!

the Andy Reid era became stagnant and old..
    WIP has become the same!

ESPN up the dial is wayyyyy better.
    - their hosts are young, fresh, and professional.
    (Except for Phil from Mount Erie, HE SUCKS!)

23. Brave heart - Dec 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Great news…. Macnow is a true phony. Thinks he’s a hockey guy. Knows very little about sports. That’s why he talks about food and movies. Gargano is the worst. He has a face for radio and a voice for print media… An embarrasment to Philly.

• Bryant Odom - Dec 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

First of all i like macnow he is one of the best host wip still had,but gargano needs to go i used to like him but hes becoming a stupid know it all.Angelo is the best thing wip have,mike and ike are very corny i do enjoy rob ellis.As far as the fanatic mikey miss is the best thing they have,i respect tony bruno but he doesnt know how to be serious and jon and shawn are idiots and awful as host

24. Phil - Dec 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Try listening to my show. I had nothing to do all day so I just called and called and they gave me a show. I’m sure when they are out of hosts both stations will hire anyone off the streets to fill in for a few hours. Just make sure you have an authentic fake Philly accent.

25. Tony Corrado - Dec 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Glen is great. A Blessing to hear his knowledge on sports an his Philly pride is entertaining. Throw him on with anybody . Glen the Jem!