Report: Glen Macnow done on WIP afternoon show, shuffles roles at CBS radio

Dec 19, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT

You may have heard a couple of weeks back about Glen Macnow’s contract dispute with Sports Radio 94 WIP. Macnow has been with the station two decades but rumors were swirling that the station was not going to renew his contract in 2014.

Today, Philly.com reports that Macnow has reached an agreement with the station that will keep him on the WIP and other CBS radio station airways, but in a different capacity. He’ll no longer be part of the Afternoon Show with Anthony Gargano, the report says.

According to a WIP release, Macnow will continue to host his long-running Saturday midday show with Ray Didinger, and will appear on other CBS-owned area stations.

The release did not mention a return to his weekday afternoon spot with Gargano and industry sources told philly.com that Gargano will instead partner with Rob Eillis, with that announcement expected soon.

Expect to hear Glen on pre and postgame shows on WPHT for Phillies broadcasts as well as on certain KYW 1060 shows that we’re unfamiliar with.

Fan opinions of sports radio hosts are often wide ranging, but Macnow always came off as more of a thoughtful host than the type to put on a circus act and say outlandish things in an attempt to get people to listen. He rarely berated callers or hung up on them.

Thoughtful analysis is often hard to find on the airwaves. Macnow’s is appreciated.

I enjoyed the Gargano and Macnow pairing for the most part. Curious to see what the host shuffle will do to my listening habits in 2014.

UPDATE: All of the reports have been confirmed. Ellis will replace Macnow on the afternoon show and Ellis’ 6-10 pm slot will be filled by Josh Innes who has been working on a CBS station in Houston. He’s apparently a Cardinals fan.

1. aerielphenom - Dec 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM

When will they get rid of the big mouth bozo blowhard Angelo Cataldi? I can’t listen to the morning show, it has turned into a circus. Barely any sports talk. Just Angelo’s lousy whining voice. They should have run him out of town when he sent the dirty 30 to boo the 1999 draft pick. The morning show was best when it was Bill Campbell and Tom Brookshier a true sports talk show. Now it is a joke. We listeners do not care how much crap you can eat to get in the stupid wing bowl or what Angelo’s next surgery is going to be.

• Devlin - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I agree with everything you said, Cataldi is so very annoying with his whiny voice, he’s just a not funny, grumpy old man!

2. philly58 - Jan 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Going to miss Glen. In a way Rob Ellis too. I always thought he is at his best when he is on his own. Can’t stand Gargano. He over rides any one who partners with him. Any one who disagrees with his view point gets talked down. The best show on WIP now is the Mike and Ike show. Can’t stand Big Daddy Graham either. I don’t think he knows jack about sports and for being a comedian the dude isn’t funny.

As far as Cataldi goes it is hit and miss with him. Other contributors are correct, there isn’t enough sports talk but Cataldi will tell you his show is about entertainment not just sports. I do not listen to him at certain times of the year especially during the Wing Bowl “tryouts” with eating contestants and bimbo tryouts. Also during the Stephen Singer bubble bath nonsense. He boosts his self esteem by having the young girls around him. Rhea is right at times he gets to be a creepy old man. The best part of Cataldi’s show is when Conklin is doing one of his bits.

3. airedale - Jan 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM

WIP is starting the slide toward moronic. Well, more moronic. Macnow and Ellis were the only level heads heard daily. Now it will be only Ellis, and he’ll be greatly diluted by the Cuz’s foolishness, which reached new lows when Macnow was gone. The new guy, Innes, was pretty bad tonight. Lots of words, not much thought.

Its gotten so the part-timers, MacDonald, Ricardo, Charry and even Spike (though he’s a tool on Twitter) are better than the full timers.

4. daggolden - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:50 AM

My favorite is Paul Jolovitz. (Jolly). He always wants the callers to explain there stance and he knows sports. I also loved Craig Carton years ago before he left. Now he is blowing up in NY, he is a star.

5. LAJ - Jan 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Boy I miss “The Prof”. I mostly liked Glen and Anthony however, it was getting increasingly dominated by Anthony which he knows sports but has that “I’m right and you’re wrong” mentality. Glen was always the level headed one that I enjoyed listening to. Glen was the only one that would talk Flyers. Anthony dominates the whole show on just the Birds and Phils with some Sixers sprinkled in. He says he is a 4 for 4 guy, but I don’t buy that. I like Robbie E and listened to his show every night but I don’t think I like Rob and Anthony together. They should put Anthony and Cataldi together that way no one will listen. Big mistake letting Glen move on WIP. I listened for years but now, probably much less.

So what happens to “who’s that guy?” and other bits.

6. Pete 60 - Jan 15, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Gargano thinks he is this big Italian. GRAVEY -BOY to me. He should take his show to the Son’s of Italy and broadcast. This is coming from someone who is an American of Italian descent!

7. shane - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Seems a shame to put Rob Ellis with Anthony Gargano. Ellis is considerably brighter and analytical whereas Gargano is a whole lot of bluster. My guess Rob Elolis will shrink to the background and all we’ll get to hear is Gragano’s not particularly intellectual schtick. But I didn’t like Macnow much either. And the new guy is really overbearing. Over all WIP is on the down slide.

• death from above - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Gargaqno is a South Philly cartoon, and he’s very proud of it. He’s here and Glen is gone.

Just stupid and a damn shame. Good job with your demographics survey WIP…

8. David Gerstlauer - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM

After the “Morning Show” I move up the dial to 97.5. I used to be a huge WIP FAN. Loved Jody Mac back in the day. The whole day has become unlistenable. Mike n Ike. UGH. Now they brought in a guy from outta town at night. He has no clue about us. I gave him 3 listens. Nope. Done. Makes me sad. BTW, what grown man calls himself SPIKE?

• Ben F Eagle - Jan 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM

For years I wondered how anybody liked that smug South Philly Gravy Boy Anth. It is reassuring to see that he has high negatives with other former listeners. Twice now, Glenn has had to endure his superior, condescension and gotten stopped in the back. Steve Martoragno (spelling?) was his other victim. Out of both principle over my disgust with the demotion of Glen and my absolute disgust with loser Cataldi, dopey Barkan, vile Anth, and the jerk from Texas, I only listen to WIP on those rare occasions when I am able to listen when Jody Mac is on. Will listen to Glen and Ray, the best sports talk duo in history.

97.5 local hosts are almost as bad. Mike and Mike is fine.

610 has Feinstein at 9 AM. He is ok.

9. tom - Jan 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Josh Innes is a joke. Listened a few times… terrible. Had is grandmother on. why?? That show is just pathetic. 94 lost this 8 – 9:30 pm every night listner ( on the road). He just irritates me, which I guess is his shtick.

T.

10. Buddy W - Jan 28, 2014 at 8:24 AM

For me, Mike and Ike only show worth listening to on WIP Cataldi is a joke, rather sad Why is he still on????. Remember the good old days with Brookie

11. Dawk Rules - Feb 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I am a long time listener of WIP and here is my take on some of our current hosts:

The good:
    -Rob Ellis is #1. Full of information, speaks very well and very objective.
    -Glen MacNow is solid. I like that he is not biased and also has good knowledge. I agree that he and Ray Diddy do a spectacular show on Saturdays.

The bad:
    -I have a feeling that I would really like Anthony Gargano as buddy, but I am not interested in someone being my Paisan (I’m Italian as well) on the radio. His comments are always with too much emotion. And he also gets off topic too much. I don’t want to hear about his kids and I am sick of him saying “I’m with ya’” to everyone who calls. I prefer hosts with self-control and not jumping all over the place with emotion. I actually can’t listen to him and he is ruining my time with my favorite host, Rob.
    - John Innes sucks. I just don’t like his content. Not to mention he says a lot of immature things (like how he got drunk one weekend) that makes it sound like he is trying to be cool. I also have a hard time staying dialed in during his show. I hope he leaves, or switches to a time of day when I’m not listening. He just seems like a tool.

The Ugly:
    -Angelo is almost never serious, but he does give a good interview. I figure his clowning is what morning radio is about. Perhaps that’s changing and people expect differently nowadays. I like Angelo but would appreciate more serious moments. His supporting cast is fine, too. Even though I’m a football fan, I love it when Keith Jones is on. He has a great sense of humor.

12. canam - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Macnow is an irrelevant pompous ass. He knows very little about sports. That’s why he talks about movies and food. Gargano has a face for radio and a voice for print media. He is unlistenable. He sounds like a retard. An embarrassment to Philadelphia.

13. John - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM

I use to listen to Glen Macnow and Ike Reese. I want to talk or hear about sports I want topics of discussion on sports I wish Steve Fredrick were still there, live Jolly, live Ricky Ricardo they talk sports they are informative, they have logic not insults. They don’t make you feel that your stupid or uninformed because we don’t have an inside source. I’ve had SiriusXm for years I listen to Dan Patrick and others that talk sports not crap.

14. robertnunan - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I have listened to WIP for 25 years. I can’t listen anymore . I stopped listening to the morning show when all you heard is girls with big boobs and eating contests AWFUL RADIO.THE MORNING SHOW HAS PAST ITS TIME. Ike Reese and Michael Barkann are terrible, Anthony Gargano is so full of himself. Rob Ellis is by far the best and most knowledgeable. The station has banked on all Eagles all the time, but there are 3 other teams in town and college basketball and football.