May 14, 2012, 1:56 AM EDT
reported on Sports Final @NBCPhiladelphia
that I’m told cole hamels agent has told Phillies they r looking for “7″
— Howard Eskin (@howardeskin) May 14,
The richest contract ever signed by a Major League pitcher is seven years, $161 million, awarded to C.C. Sabathia by the Yankees in December ’08. If the latest report from Howard Eskin is true, Cole Hamels could be aiming to surpass those figures.
Never mind the money, which we already expect will climb north of $20 million annually. Seven years! The longest the Phillies have gone with any pitcher during the Pat Gillick/Ruben Amaro era is five years to Cliff Lee.
That might be a stumbling block.
And the money! With player salaries constantly on the rise, a future 29-year-old Hamels figures to command record-breaking numbers, especially should this season continue on its current course. Cole is 4-1 with a 2.45 ERA in 2012, and seems to get better with every year.
With all of this in mind, I still prefer Hamels in red pinstripes next season. Besides the fact that he is elite, we’re talking about a homegrown talent, the Most Valuable Player on the only world championship team from Philadelphia in nearly 30 years. Obviously emotions have no place in business, but cutting this guy loose could be bad for baseball and for business.
Yes, the Phillies have been burned by lengthy contracts, none more prevalent for the moment than Ryan Howard’s five-year extension at $125 million. When it comes to the truly great players though, sometimes you just have to take a leap.
Does Hamels belong in that company? Whether the Phillies think so or not, somebody will be paying Cole a king’s ransom.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money