Jul 13, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Jayson Stark wrote a column this morning saying that the Phillies are “preparing a substantial offer” for Cole Hamels in an attempt to sign him before the trade deadline. Nothing surprising there, but there is a bit about optimism in the piece that stuck out to me.
There has been no indication the two sides have made any progress
toward a new deal for months. However, executives of two clubs that
spoke to Phillies’ officials say Philadlephia has been expressing a
surprising level of optimism it can get the 28-year-old left-hander
signed this month.
“They’re trying to sign him,” said one of those executives. “And
they think it’s going to happen. At least that’s what I was told.”
Optimism in this case sounds good.
We’ve known all along that the Phillies have a desire to keep Cole in Philadelphia, but never really got any indication about how likely they thought they could make it happen. Even a hint of optimism sounds encouraging to Phillies fans after all of those rumors of trading him generated such buzz just a few weeks ago.
As CSN’s Jim Salisbury points out, the negotiating issue between Cole and the Phillies appears to be the number of years on the contract.
Would you give Hamels a six-year deal if you were Ruben Amaro? Seven even?
As written Monday, length of deal is sticking pt in Hamels negotiations. Phils have less than 3 wks to bridge gap or trade pitcher
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) July 13, 2012
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money