Jul 17, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
It’s another 10:10 PM late night start this evening for the Phillies out at Chavez Ravine where the Fightins have won six straight games over the Dodgers. They welcome back one Roy Halladay to the mound, his first start since May 27th. Doc’s return is likely reason enough to let the kids stay up late on a Tuesday.
Halladay wasn’t particularly sharp in his lone rehab assignment down in Clearwater last week. His velocity was down while his command was up — not a great combo. But he’ll be aided tonight by the cavernous ball park that is Dodger Stadium.
A studly Doc performance this evening, helping the Phillies to a win could really add some juice to the fanbase. It’d be their fourth straight victory, pushing them to 4-1 since the All-Star break. Hope will start your car.
A shaky Halladay outing, on the other hand, could bring us back to the sub-500 reality real quick. If the Phillies’ ace is anything short of fantastic the rest of the season, Philadelphia’s stretch run will assuredly not be in search of a playoff berth.
Halladay (4-5, 3.98) will be taking on a right-hander making his big-league debut in Stephen Fife. Here’s what you need to know about him from CSN:
Fife was a third-round pick of the Red Sox in 2008 who was acquired by
the Dodgers in July 2011 in a three-team minor-league trade that also
involved the Mariners. He pitched 101 games in the minors (86 starts)
and went 33-21 with a 4.06 ERA. His strikeout and walk numbers were
modest and he is not regarded as much of a prospect.
If you want to examine just how well the Phils must play in order to avoid being sellers before the July 31 deadline, The Zo Zone breaks it all down nicely. 10-5? 11-4? 12-3?
Basically they need to keep winning like crazy.
Roy Halladay pitches for the Phillies tonight. That’s at least worth getting a little excited about.
10:10 PM start time on CSN.
Tonight’s lineup @ LA: Rollins SS, Victorino CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Ruiz C, Pence RF,Pierre LF, Polanco 3B, Halladay P.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) July 17, 2012
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money