May 8, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Roy Halladay couldn’t figure out why he was unable to locate his pitches over the past few weeks. Turns out, his body was dealing with a bone spur and a partially torn rotator cuff. The bone spur also caused fraying in both his rotator cuff and labrum.
Doc spoke with reporters prior to this afternoon’s game in San Francisco and revealed that he’ll have a procedure on his shoulder and there is no timetable on his return. He did mention, however, that one doctor mentioned a recovery as quick as three months being feasible if all went smoothly. Once the doctors get in there and see whether the actual body matches what they saw on the film, they’ll have a much better idea and perhaps be able to put a timetable on things.
“In certain cases, it’s been three month, but we really don’t have a timetable,” he said. “I think the timetable is going to come once they go in and confirm that hey, what we saw in the X-rays is exactly what we saw when we went in there. … They were definitely optimistic that I would be back this year.”
Halladay seemed somewhat relieved by the news, even going so far as calling it “very good news,” noting it’s not a full blown surgery that could cost him the entire season and parts of next.
“I don’t feel as lost as before,” Halladay said. “I’m optimistic we’ll be able to get it fixed and I’ll be able to come back and pitch.”
“A scope and a cleanup is a lot different than a surgery,” he said. “They’re not going in having to reattach the cuff.”
An upbeat Halladay also mentioned that doctors feel that if all goes smoothly, the procedure could “turn back the clock” on him two to three years. He hopes to pitch again this season.
That certainly sounds like a best case.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return