Jun 1, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
The Phillies will finish off a very tough stretch of 20 games in 20 days this afternoon and will enjoy their first off day on Thursday since way back on May 12th. They currently sit at 10-9 over that span, so a win today to avoid the series loss to the lowly Nationals would make that off-day juuust a bit more enjoyable for the Fightins.
It’s Roy Oswalt (3-2, 2.60) against the Evil John Lannan (2-5, 4.40) for the Nationals.
Oswalt’s Been Good
The CSN game notes does a little what-Roy’s-numbers-would-look-like-minus-that-one-start, “If you discount the start before Roy Oswalt (3-2, 2.60) hit the DL, his season numbers stack up with any pitcher in the majors. In seven starts – without taking into account his injury-shortened loss to the D-Backs on April 26 – Oswalt has posted a 3-1 record with a 1.71 ERA, allowing just 39 hits in 42 innings with 29 strikeouts and nine walks. He is coming off a six-inning, one-run outing against the Mets, a game the Phils won 6-4.”
In his last start, Roy pitched well against the Mets but did not figure in the decision of the Phils 6-4 victory. After some questions arose as to the velocity of his fastball upon returning from the DL, Lil Roy has allowed only 3 ER combined in his last 3 starts since returning.
After Dom Brown went 2-4 last night, many fans were hoping to see Dom Brown back in the lineup this afternoon against a lefty. Sadly, Charlie Manuel likes to do what Charlie Manuel likes to do, and Brown will not get the start. Instead, John Mayberry Jr. will start in center and bat second while Ben Francisco will man right field.
Vic On the Mend
Shane continued his rehab last night in Reading and made a couple of real nice defensive plays, he says he’s feeling great, and could return to the team this weekend in Pittsburgh. [video below]
First pitch scheduled for 1:05 this afternoon.
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money