Jan 9, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
A report is now out from ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick that the Phillies are potentially interested in acquiring the talents of one-time starter, now-full-time reliever Kerry Wood in the event Jose Contreras is unable to sufficiently recover from elbow surgery.
Wood, who returned to the Chicago Cubs after bouncing between New York and Cleveland the two seasons [pryor], posted a 3.35 ERA and 1.294 WHIP as he surrendered 19 earned on 45 hits in 51 innings of work in 2011. Those numbers, though not radically impressive, were a welcome return to the mound for the oft-injured pitcher, who missed large chunks of both the 2009 and 2010 seasons on the DL.
So, is this for real?
CSN’s Jim Salisbury seems to think there is certainly an interest from the Phillies, but that Wood’s one-year, $4 million asking price might be a little too steep for the front office to swallow.
Thoughts on Kerry Wood? The Phillies’ Danger Area? Michael Schwimmer in the eighth?
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return