Nov 1, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
The Phillies have two more days of exclusive negotiating rights with free agents Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Madson. After which, Young James and Ryan Madson/Scott Boras will be (officially) allowed to hear other offers.
With the market set to open for free agents, Sports Illustrated has published their Top 50 available free agents for the 2011-2012 off-season. Each name on the list comes complete with a brief bio and SI’s recommendation for that particular player’s “best fit.” Four Phillies—Rollins, Madson, Oswalt and Ibanez—made the list.
So where does SI project them to land?
Rollins weighs in as the highest Phillie on the list at No. 10, and the second shortstop behind only Jose Reyes. Those of you who might like to see Jimmy finish, or at least continue, his career in a Phillies uniform will be dismayed—but doubtfully surprised given Rollins’ Bay-Area ties and this team’s need for a SS—that SI projects his “best fit” to be with the San Francisco Giants.
Two spots below at No. 12, Ryan Madson finds himself behind both Jonathan Papelbon and Heath Bell as SI’ third-most coveted closer. Fortunately for the one guy who actually owns and wears a Ryan Madson t-shirt—Me—the list still projects his “best fit” as in the Citizens Bank Park bullpen. Though, if we’re being honest, Papelbon’s ranking is unquestionably inflated—probably because he’s spent time in Boston—and Madson’s age might be more attractive to some teams than the three-years-his-elder Bell.
Basically, we’re telling you Ryan Madson is undervalued. Then again, this guy and I rarely miss an opportunity to share that opinion.
Roy Oswalt and Raul Ibanez round out the Phillies on the list as Nos. 22 and 35, with the Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners listed as their best fits, respectively.
Should guys be higher? Lower? Wanna argue about it? See you in the comments.
Update: Yeah, yeah, we forgot Lidgey at #44. Our bad, Brad. Anyway, you’re projected to fit best with the Mets. Congratulations and I’m sorry. Can we talk about less money? Let’s talk about less money.
[h/t allan for the link]>>The Reiter 50: Ranking the Top Free Agents [SI]
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money