Some Philadelphia Residents Assumed the Phillies Fireworks Were Racists Celebrating Zimmerman Verdict
Jul 15, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Phillies typically awesome fireworks display at Citizens Bank Park hit a couple of snags over the weekend. It was pushed from Friday to Saturday due to inclement weather. Then the two Saturday games with the Chicago White Sox both going to extra innings pushed the festivities into the wee hours of Sunday morning. Add to that the timing of the verdict of the George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin trial and you have quite a bit of sleepy confusion.
Some people of Philadelphia went right for the awful and rather odd assumptions, per the Daily News:
Meanwhile, aghast newsies from Philadelphia and beyond who heard fireworks – those in South Philly and elsewhere – assumed they were sent into the skies by racists celebrating the Saturday-night verdict in Florida’s George Zimmerman case.
“People were afraid a guilty verdict would have resulted in riots. Thank god #Zimmerman’s verdict only resulted in white pride fireworks,” tweeted Sana Saeed, a senior editor at Islawmix, a project of Harvard Law’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society.
The Phillies do not play again until Friday.
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return