Mar 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
Roy Halladay’s line against the Tigers on March 12: 2.2 IP,
6 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR – including a grand slam. 11 of 18 batters
reached base safely.
Everybody, please move to the fallout shelters in an orderly
Doc had been having a nice, calming Spring for the Phillies,
allowing six hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings in his previous three
starts. His command seemed to be there, walking two batters compared to seven
strikeouts, while hitters hadn’t really teed off on him at all, surrendering
just one home run.
Tuesday’s outing was a far cry from that obviously. The
control issues are particularly worrisome, and the parade across home plate
inflated Halladay’s ERA from 2.16 to 7.36. Worse yet, the Detroit Tigers didn’t
even have several of their best players in the lineup.
You would like to chalk it up to one bad day. Maybe Halladay
was working on some things. Maybe…
Unfortunately, there are multiple reports that Halladay’s
velocity was down today, just as it was down in his last start. Just as it was
last Spring. Cue panic.
Halladay struggling with velocity and command. Fastball sitting between 86 and 88.
— Bob Brookover (@brookob) March 12, 2013
It’s not the end of the world quite yet. It was one bad day after all. The Phillies
don’t necessarily need Roy Halladay to return to Cy Young form. It’s probably
not fair to expect that.
The Phils do need Doc to at least be effective though if
they are to have a Fightin chance this year. Clearly he was anything but on
Tuesday. Time will tell if he can turn it around, but there is definitely cause
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
|philasopher on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money