The Time A Cubs Player Thought Philly Fans Were Cheering Him But Really A Man Just Walked On the Moon
Aug 27, 2012, 2:19 PM EST
The world lost a legend over the weekend when Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the moon, died at the age of 82. With his passing, however, we learned of a pretty neat tidbit from the day it happened back in 1969.
The Cubs were playing the Phillies in Philadelphia at Connie Mack Stadium and third baseman Ron Santo had just hit a three-run home run for the North Siders, according to the Seattle Times:
“(Santo) comes over to me and says, ‘I’ve never had a standing ovation on a road trip,’ ” former teammate Glenn Beckert recalled during Friday’s Cubs-Rockies telecast. “I said, ‘You still haven’t, Ron.
” ‘Take a look at the scoreboard. A man just walked on the moon.’ “
Slightly reminiscent of the night Osama Bin Laden was killed and Citizens Bank Park errupted into spontaneous “U-S-A! U-S-A!” chants during a Phils-Mets game. Except without cell phones, of course.
>>Phillies fans didn’t moonlight as friendly for Santo’s shot [Seattle Times]
Thanks to reader David H. for passing this story along.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return