Jun 1, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
Despite giving up a first-inning run on some well-executed small ball by the Nationals and a lone solo shot in the third to Lance Nix, Roy Oswalt was on his game for the most part in the Phillies 2-1 loss to cap off their DC series on a losing note. Oswalt was pulled after only five innings because the Phils offense was so lacking they needed to pinch hit for Lil Roy in the top of the sixth with the bases loaded and two outs.
Unfortunately, Laynce Nix made a very un-Nationals-like play and caught a Dom Brown liner in left while totally stretching out for the amazing diving catch. Had he dropped it, the Phils would have been in a nice position to win.
That was the difference in this one. Both teams struggled to get much offense going. The Phils notching only five hits to the Nationals six, but the ball went the pesky Nationals way this afternoon.
A blind squirrel has to find a nut every once in a while, and with that, Evil John Lannan got his first win against the Phillies in 14 tries.
Two plays stick out to me in this one. The first, when John Mayberry was gunned out at the plate on what would have been a game-tying run. Upon first glimpse of the play live, I thought Mayberry was safe, but upon further slo-mo review, he did indeed look out. But why not do a head-first slide way off the bag and glance the plate with only an outstretched hand? I’d bet a nickel he would have been safe had he done that.
Finally, the last pitch of the game was clearly a ball, but Placido Polanco was called out on strikes. An ump trying to get out of the heat a little too quickly?
Tough loss. The Phils showed minimal life this afternoon and have an off-day tomorrow. They look like it couldn’t come soon enough.
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return