Jun 25, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Cliff Lee was looking like Cliff Lee. The throngs of Philadelphia Phillies fans in San Diego were feeling good after eight shutout innings and a three run lead. Then Charlie Manuel made the questionable decision to send Lee out for the ninth despite the pitch count of 109. Then Lee allowed the first two runners to reach base. Then Jonathan Papelbon came in and allowed a 2-RBI hit and then Chooch allowed a passed ball (video) and that nice and warm happy feeling turned to terror.
Watch the fan in the top left go from thinking Papelbon got a strike to realizing it was a passed ball that would allow the Padres to tie the game with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.
“Oh no,” is right
GIF by Gifulmination.com
Papelbon blew his fourth save in his last five attempts. Shit happens, I guess, as Jonathan Papelbon would say following the game.
He isn’t wrong, you know. This is the 2013 Phillies.
“Shit happens,” Jonathan Papelbon said.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) June 25, 2013
Here’s the walkoff winner for the Padres if you want to really hate life this morning:
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return