Jun 9, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Well that was a brief stay above .500.
The Phillies dropped three of four in Milwaukee — five of seven to the Brewers alone over the last 10 days — an opponent that came into this series with the third worst record in baseball. They rapidly went from riding a five-game winning streak and moving a game above .500 — each for the first time in 2013 — to three-game losing streak and two games under.
In other words: familiar territory.
Not much to say about this one, a humiliating 9-1 loss. The Phils had an opportunity to get on the board early, but Michael Young was gunned down at the plate by rightfielder Norichika Aoki on a Ryan Howard line drive in the first inning. Then Jonathan Pettibone misplayed a leadoff bunt in the second and hit a batter, setting off a four-run rally from which they would never recover.
Where Pettibone was not sharp — six runs in 5.1 innings — Kyle Lohse was very effective for the Brewers, allowing the lone run off of four hits through eight. Even Domonic Brown was shut down, breaking his streak of reaching base safely in 13 consecutive games with an 0-for-3 day at the dish.
Pitiful display this weekend, one that rightfully dampens any good vibes their recent run may have created. Thankfully the Phillies have a day off before picking back up against another sub-.500 team in Minnesota on Tuesday, although that won’t be nearly long enough to eradicate the bad taste from our mouths after this most recent string.
>> BOX SCORE [CBS Sports]
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return