Jan 20, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
You know things in the world of Phillies fandom are not their best when an article about a potential free agent signing has to explicitly state “it wouldn’t be a train wreck” and that rumored player has been “epically bad in recent years.” As if all of the moves Ruben Amaro Jr. makes these days are almost assumed to be poor decisions.
And the report in the Boston Globe that the Phils have expressed interest in former Blue Jays outfielder Vernon Wells, most recently of the Yankees, is certainly the kind of report that makes you initially think “what the hell?”
This line is included in the Globe report:
It’ll be interesting to see whether Wells elects to retire and collect $21 million or hook on with another team after his release by the Yankees.
But over at CSNPhilly.com, Corey Seidman actually breaks down Wells’ splits over the past few seasons and points out that while Wells wouldn’t actually be an upgrade over a guy like Delmon Young (!), if he was used solely against lefties, he could be an improvement over John Mayberry Jr. who they just avoided arbitration with.
Anyway, this is the state of Phillies roster rumors these days. Hopefully you’re not at work today and are not reading this.
Vernon Wells is what we’re left to attempt to get excited about.
|gov on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JOn on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Renee on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|ochospantalones on Tonight: Hollywood Hamels|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money