Apr 24, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
The Phillies managed just two measily hits off of Pirates’ pitcher Jeff Locke over six innings. TWO HITS. And they added two more once he departed the game making a grand total of four on the evening. This left Charlie Manuel in a less than chipper mood and he unloaded a bit in a classic Charlie rant following the game.
If you’re looking for a silver lining in this one, I got nothing on the offensive side of things. Last night marked the first scoreless start in Jeff Locke’s young career.
Manuel sat in the big room in the heart of Citizens Bank Park for longer than usual last night, answering any question posed to him and just generally showing that he’s as frustrated as anybody at his team’s lack of hitting.
They’re trying. Maybe too hard. But in baseball trying don’t mean nothing if you’re not doing. And it don’t matter what you did last year, what the old numbers show. You’ve got to go out and do it. Make it happen. And Charlie’s sure pulling for his guys to make it happen. But they haven’t. That’s got to change if this season is going to turn around.
Jim Salisbury has a great recap of last night’s activities, which you should read. We’ll leave you with this Charlie-ism:
“I think they’re trying,” Manuel said. “Maybe a little bit too hard. But
you have to get it done. Baseball is a game where what you did last
year doesn’t count. It’s what you’re doing now that counts. Just because
you hit last year doesn’t mean you will hit this year. The game can
bite you. The game don’t care how much money you make. It can get you.
|philsoc8 on Yeah, the Union should’v…|
|oshihidra on Yeah, the Union should’v…|
|Marvin Monroe on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|Z on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return