Sep 26, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
In retrospect — and maybe even at the time — sending Jonathan Singleton and Jarred Cosart to the Astros for Hunter Pence, not a great idea.
Still, it’s amazing how it easy it is for athletes to make fans like them. Show even the slightest bit of a sense of humor, especially by way of self-deprecation, and you can buy yourself a whole lot of good will.
Our latest example: The Hunter Pence Youth Instructional Baseball video. Pence teamed with SI’s Extra Mustard blog to produce something far shorter and more profound than the Oklahoma State expose.
In the video, Pence teaches kids how to throw without an elbow and run like their trying to negotiate an earthquake so that they can all be cut by their little league teams.
In short, Hunter Pence jokingly teaching your kids how to play baseball is exactly how you assumed he would actually teach your kids to play baseball.
Hunter Pence: good at baseball, great at memes. Also, as you may have noticed, a full-name guy. Video below:
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money