Aug 12, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Phillies fans were going wild at Citizens Bank Park on Friday on a beautiful night for baseball in South Philadelphia. And that was long before the first pitch was even thrown. Legendary mullet-rocker, chew-spitter, and sweet-swinging Phillies first baseman John Kruk was inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame prior to the game.
Kruk was greeted to tremendous applause, mostly because he absolutely knows how to relate to Philadelphia fans, but also how to stroke our egos just a bit.
After his 1993 teammate Dutch Daulton gave a somewhat awkward speech about how the two players both enjoyed a few cocktails the first night they met in spring training down in Florida — separately, I might add — and then woke up at 6:00 am the next day, Kruk took to the podium on the pitcher’s mound at CBP and thanked Phillies fans for an amazing ride. [video below]
Kruk started out, quite sincerely it appeared, by telling Philadelphia simply that “this is the greatest place I’ve ever been.”
We won’t spoil the whole thing for you in case you haven’t seen it yet, but he finished by commenting on players who complained about the attitude of the always cordial Philly fans.
“You hear players, media people, say that it’s tough to play in Philly in front of these fans, to those people I say: you didn’t have the guts to succeed here!,” Kruk said to raucous applause.
What was your favorite line from Kruk’s speech? Or do you not have enough brain cells to answer?
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return