May 13, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
When Shane Victorino used to make things interesting in center field at Citizens Bank Park — and he did that with some frequency — it seemed to happen more on plays in front of him rather than behind him. He hasn’t been playing at Fenway Park nearly as long as he did in Philadelphia, and he clearly doesn’t have a great feel for right field there just yet as demonstrated by the brutal collision he made with the outfield wall yesterday on an Emilio Bonifacio home run.
Either the warning track completed failed to serve its purpose or Victorino miscalculated just how close and unforgiving that wall actually is. Boston Manager John Farrell initially kept Victorino in the game following the collision but thought better of it and eventually pulled him. From NESN:
“With the way Shane hit the wall, he started to stiffen up as the game went on and given what he’s been dealing with lower back-wise, we weren’t going to take any chances further today,” Farrell said after the game.
Shane was not available to reporters following the game because he was taken to the hospital to have his ribs and back examined. And in case you were wondering how he’s doing, Shane’s wife wanted to report on Twitter (below) that he’s doing okay and that no fence can keep the Flyin’ Hawaiian down.
The Phillies and Red Sox will play a unique four-game split-city series at the end of May.
twitter is 1st 2 report @shanevictorino status b4 i know his status. Well let me b the 1st to report he’s fine! A fence isn’t stoppin 18
— Melissa Victorino (@MsFlyinHawaiian) May 13, 2013
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money