Jun 2, 2012, 12:25 PM EST
The Phils stuck to their winning ways on a wet Friday night at the ballpark, defeating Mark Buehrle and the red-hot Marlins 6-4, though Miami did not go away quietly. Jonathan Papelbon was called upon with the bases loaded and one out in the top of the eighth inning, a mess he cleaned with an easy pop up, then a strikeout looking that sent Hanley Ramirez into a tantrum.
The ninth brought with it a little more adventure. With Shane Victorino resting a hand injury, John Mayberry was on center field duty, and after a two-out double put the tying run at the plate, we saw the job is not at easy as the Flyin’ Hawaiian often makes it look. Video of Mayberry’s heartburn-inducing grab below.
Had Mayberry not come up with that one, a run certainly scores, and Greg Dobbs might be standing on third. Instead, it goes into the books as Papelbon’s 15th save in 15 tries.
Kyle Kendrick picked up the win, holding the Marlins to two runs over 5.1, as the Phillies were able to chase Buehrle from the game after five. Placido Polanco, Hunter Pence, Carlos Ruiz, and Hector Luna all had multiple hits, with Pence and Luna combining for 5 RBI.
The Phillies were bit by the injury bug once more though, as Jose Contreras left the game with an elbow injury. He’s already hit the 15-day DL, forcing the Phils to recall Michael Schwimer. It’s been a rocky season for Contreras, but it looked like he might be finally settling in, allowing zero runs and one hit in his previous six appearances.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages