Jan 20, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
I stumbled upon a pretty rare YouTube gem this afternoon which is the entire broadcast of the 1980 Phillies Championship Parade on PHL17. Some of you old heads may remember this day rather well, but many of you probably weren’t even born yet when the Phillies first took their first float ride down Broad Street. This video gives a remarkable look back at what things were like in 1980.
The parade took place on October 22nd, 1980. I was about a week away from being born. A few observations:
- God bless television of today. We like to mock whichever host or announcer annoys us a little too much every game, but look at the footage from this telecast and compare it to the camera quality and angles we have today. We’re downright spoiled.
- 10-20 people deep in center city according to the telecast
- The victory celebration at the end of the parade took place at JFK Stadium, the long destroyed venue perhaps best remembered for hosting Live Aid back in 1985.
- The shots of the Philly skyline barely look recognizable. No Comcast Tower obviously, but also no Liberty Place I or II. Or any tall building really. What a different city.
- At around 21:30 or so in the video, the crowd breaks through the barriers in center city and starts running down Broad Street alongside the Phillies on the flatbeds. This is by far the best part.
- Former umpire Eric Gregg joins the telecast around the 30:30 mark
- Del Ennis joins around 49:00
- Harry Kalas takes over the announcing duties at JFK Stadium around the 57:15 minute mark
- I think one random Phillie is wearing an Eagles hat
- The players — including Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Pete Rose, and Tug McGraw — start taking the mic around the 1:05 mark.
- Tugger and Michael Jack the best speeches. Both keep it short and sweet but Tugger takes a little jab at New York which was kind of funny.
Spot something we missed? Share it with a what time it’s at in the comments.
Some screen caps from the video:
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return