Feb 27, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Color us unsurprised.
Pat the Bat may have had his issues with the outside breaking ball from time to time, but who among us hasn’t (right, Ryan?)? Yes, the guy caught a lot of flack for the one-knee-reaching strikeout, but it’s hard to argue Pat Burrell didn’t have one of the better batting eyes of any Phillie in recent memory.
Burrell walked 932 times in 12 major league seasons. His OBP’s averaged roughly .120 points higher than his batting averages in each of his final three seasons as a Phillie. In his final season in San Francisco, when he wasn’t seen as much of threat at the plate, he still reached base in 35 percent of his plate appearances despite hitting just .239.
Seems like he might make for a decent hitting coach, right?
Well, apparently, Giants general manager Brian Sabean agrees. Sabean told MLB.com’s Chris Haft that Burrell’s “selective plate approach” has impressed the Giants enough that the GM hopes to “figure something out” in regard to the 35-year-old, two-time World Series champ joining the San Francisco coaching staff after he has sufficient time to rehab from a recent shoulder surgery.
Burell is more than likely familiar with the student-teacher role play at this point, so the transition should prove fairly natural. And, really, if you’re a promising prospect looking to acclimate yourself to the big leagues, who better to show you the ropes than the guy who managed to crash at a Clearwater retirement community during spring training and still pull chicks? This started about baseball, didn’t it?
Add “molder of young minds” to The Bat’s growing resume.
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return