Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
I suppose after the weekend the Phillies had dropping a series to the Mets at Citizens Bank Park that was capped by a demoralizing loss yesterday, you wouldn’t lose your fan card for calling it a night and hitting the sack early instead of watching the Phillies take on the Padres in a 10:10 pm start. You might even be smart for getting some extra sleep.
Then again, Cliff Lee is pitching this evening. It’s always worth tuning in to watch the Phife dog do his thing.
Lee (9-2, 2.53) will take on San Diego lefty Eric Stults (6-5, 3.25). While the Phillies have struggled to get and stay at .500 (36-40), the Padres are right at the even mark (38-38). The Pads have fared well when Stults takes the hill at home this season. He’s 3-1 with a 2.90 ERA (13 ER, 40.1 IP) at Petco this season and the Padres are 5-1 in his six home starts, winning each of his last five.
The Cliff Lee game notes are pretty enjoyable to read:
- Streak Stopper: Is 7-1, 2.30 ERA (19 ER, 74.1 IP) in 10 starts following a Phillies loss this season; Phils are 8-2 in those 10 starts
- Has pitched at least 7.0 innings in each of his last 9 starts
- Has the 3rd-lowest road ERA among all ML starters this season
- Is 5-0, 1.57 ERA (8 ER, 46.0 IP) over his last 6 road starts
As for the bats, not as promising: Ryan Howard is not in the lineup due to a cranky knee.
Howard’s knee is sore, according to Manuel. That is why he is out.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) June 24, 2013
— Phillies (@Phillies) June 25, 2013
Pen Issues: Mike Stutes was placed on the DL yesterday and RHP Phillippe Aumont was called up. Mike Adams is also seeing doctors and there are fears a labrum issue could require surgery. No official word on that yet.
|Howie on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money