May 16, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Little is known about Vance Worley’s elbow soreness, except he will miss not one, but at least three games. The Phillies placed the 24 year old on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday, and formally announced Kyle Kendrick as the starter for tonight’s game against the Cubs at Wrigley.
The Inq’s Matt Gelb tweeted that team officials are keeping their fingers crossed, but indicated they do not know yet whether or not the inflammation in his elbow a sign of a more serious problem.
Worley picked up in 2012 right where he left off last season, going 3-2 with a 3.07 ERA in seven outings. Jim Salisbury adds the Phils are 20-8 in games the Vanimal’s starts over the past two seasons, calling him a “godsend.”
His replacement is 0-2 with a 6.43 ERA in three starts this season, but it’s not as bad as it looks. Kendrick was tagged for seven runs over three frames in his first trip out in Arizona. Over his next two, KK allowed three earned in 11 innings (2.45), but the Phillies were unable to provide the run support.
Kendrick got pounded in his last appearance, allowing five runs and picking up his third loss of the season in an inning or relief against the Mets. He’s off to a dismal start overall this year, 0-3 with a 7.32 ERA and a staggering 2.03 WHIP.
Last season, Kendrick went 5-4 with a 3.14 ERA as a starter.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money