Apr 3, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
The Phillies will have their usual day-long festivus on Friday for the team’s home opener against the Kansas City Royals. There will be special guests, of course, such as Mike Schmidt and George Brett throwing out the first ceremonial balls. And some guy who was apparently funny once, Joe Piscopo.
The gates to Citizens Bank Park will open at 1:00 pm which means you can get in their early enough to catch the Phils take batting practice, something that fans usually miss on a regular game day.
Here is the full schedule of events from the Phillies:
1:00 p.m. Citizens Bank Way Opening Day Party begins with entertainment, food and drinks. Free to all fans.
1:35 p.m. All gates open. All fans will receive a custom-designed Opening Day Rally Towel, chosen through an online vote by fans for fans, compliments of Modell’s Sporting Goods.
1:55 p.m. Phillies batting practice.
2:30 p.m. Royals batting practice.
3:15 p.m. Line up on 10th Street! Fans who have not yet entered the ballpark gates are invited to line up on 10th Street and cheer on the 2013 Phillies as they make their “Leadoff Walk” into the ballpark – escorted by the Cardinal O’Hara High School Marching Band.
3:28 p.m. Fans inside the ballpark are urged to be in their seats for a must-see pregame ceremony! The 2013 Phillies will make their grand entrance into Citizens Bank Park from a 10th Street Leadoff Walk. Providing the music as the players walk the red carpet will be the Fralinger String Band.
3:32 p.m. “Philadelphia Pride” and “America the Beautiful” will be sung by the Philadelphia Boys Choir and Men’s Chorale, as members of the Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard unfurl a large American flag. State flags will be carried onto the field by Philadelphia Police and Fire Department personnel.
3:39 p.m. Introductions … Royals
3:43 p.m. Introductions … Phillies
3:49 p.m. National Anthem: Will be sung by Ta’Rea Campbell, a Philadelphian from West Oak Lane, who is starring in Sister Act at the Academy of Music.
3:53 p.m. Frog-Ex Parachute Team, whose members are Former Leap Frogs, will parachute onto the field delivering the first balls.
4:00 p.m. Ceremonial First Pitches: Phillies great, 1980 World Champion and NL MVP Mike Schmidt and former Royals third baseman and 1980 AL MVP George Brett will throw out ceremonial first balls.
Joe Piscopo, Saturday Night Live alumni and comic legend, representing Modell’s Sporting Goods, will also throw a first ball.
4:05 p.m. Play Ball!
5th Inning A must-see…the Phanatic turns into the “King of Rock and Roll”.
7th Inning “God Bless America” performed by Darlene Campbell-Silbering, local Philadelphia vocalist.
*All of the above events are subject to change, weather and wind permitting.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return