Jul 5, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
For a team with their highest payroll ever, the Phillies continue to earn wins while leaning on a bunch of guys many didn’t even expect to be on the team prior to the season. The trio of Vance Worley, Michael Stutes, and Antonio Bastardo executed their jobs perfectly on Monday night and the Phils, with a little help from the umps, scored the only run of the day.
Vance Worley was fantastic in yesterday’s 1-0 win over the Marlins. The Phils rookie went seven strong innings, allowing only two hits, and acting all nonchalant after (not) tagging Emilio Bonifacio on a close play at first base in the fifth inning.
To steal an NFL term, there didn’t appear to be 100% conclusive evidence, but it did look as if Worley never actually touched Bonifacio. [watch the play here if for nothing else than to see Trader Jack McKeon get his argument on]
What did you think? Safe? Out?
We love to get on umps when they make egregious calls against the Phillies, so we thought it’s also worth pointing out when their mistakes actually help the Phils. Another instance of that was on Michael Martinez’s RBI single in the seventh. Dom Brown didn’t get a great jump from second, and his front foot appeared to miss the plate, allowing John Buck to get the tag right before Dom touched home. In a play that totally could have been called either way, the ump called Brown safe and the Phillies had the only run of the day. [watch the play at the plate here]
So that was the story of the Phillies series-opening victory over the Fish on the Fourth: Worley, Stutes, and Bastardo pitched wonderfully as the Dom Brown and Michael Martinez got one on the board with a little help from Blue. Just how Phils fans scripted victories back in the off-season, right?
Back at it this evening. No Fireworks in the forecast.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return