Jan 25, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Earlier this week, enigmatic and talented Oklahoma Thunder star Russell Westbrook blocked a pair of half-court shot attempts from the Denver Nuggets mascot that could have won the fans in attendance some free cheese. That’s not very nice. But also pretty hilarious. The Level’s own Andrew Unterberger, writing for The Basketball Jones, used this as a jumping point to see what 10 mascot-player feuds we’re likely to see next. Thankfully, Andrew Bynum makes the cut. It involves his hair, bowling, him being aloof, and Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes laughing like hyenas.
2. Andrew Bynum (76ers) vs. Raptor (Raptors)
How It Starts: Bynum grabs onto Raptor’s tail as he
traipses by the Sixers’ bench before the game, causing him to stumble
and fall to the ground. At the other end of the bench, Evan Turner and
Spencer Hawes guffaw like it’s the funniest thing they’ve ever seen,
which it is.
How It Escalates: During a timeout in a later visit
to Toronto, Raptor dons an exaggerated ‘fro wig, while oversized bowling
pins are placed underneath the Sixers’ basket. The mascot grabs a
basketball and rolls it towards the pins, but the motion causes him to
again fall to the ground, where he writhes in pain, clutching his left
knee. During the sequence, cameras capture Bynum on the bench chatting
idly with Damien Wilkins, clearly not paying attention.
Which reminds me of one of the few things I enjoyed about former Sixers mascot Hip-Hop (RIP), the bit where he used himself as a bowling ball with the help of a slingshot.
The other nine are pretty good too. KG vs. any mascot is worth a click.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money