Nov 13, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Jrue Holiday turned the ball over eight times en route to a
103-96 home loss to Milwaukee on Monday night, and while giveaways certainly were
not the only reason the 76ers tasted defeat, they are part of what has suddenly
become a troubling trend for the fourth-year point guard.
How big of a problem are Holiday’s turnovers? He currently
leads the NBA with 42.
That’s 6.0 per game. The next closest is Houston’s James
Harden at 4.6, followed by Brooklyn’s Deron Williams with 4.2 – so roughly two
more per game than almost any other player in the league.
What makes these figures so surprising is Holiday has been
so good at protecting the ball in the past. According to John Finger, who has
the full reveal on Jrue’s issues, the 22 year old averaged 2.3 turnovers
through the first three seasons of his career. Where did that guy go?
Then there is this alarming stat:
In the victories over New Orleans, Boston and Toronto,
Holiday gave the ball away seven times. He pushed that total to eight in Monday
night’s loss to Milwaukee at the Wells Fargo Center.
For some perspective, Holiday committed seven turnovers in a game just four
times in his first three years in the NBA. Now he’s done it in four straight
It can be explained to a point by the simple fact that
Holiday is handling the ball more than ever. His minutes are up to 38.6 per
game, and naturally so are the rest of his numbers. He’s taken on more of a
scoring role with 19.1 points per game, and he’s third in the NBA with an average of 9.0
We can all count though, and those extra possessions would’ve
helped against the Bucks. I think it’s probably safe to say seven or eight
turnovers are a tad high. But is it reason to be concerned, or all part of the
learning process for Holiday as he takes on an increasing level of responsibility?
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money