Audio: Charles Barkley On Manti Te’o: We Can’t Just Be Making Up Words When Somebody Is a Damn Idiot
Jan 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Sir Charles Barkley was a guest of Mike Missanelli on 97.5 the Fanatic yesterday afternoon and it was a truly awesome 20 minutes of radio. Chuck was in town to call the Sixers-Spurs game on Monday night for TNT, so the two talk quite a bit about that. But as always with Charles, the topic of conversation was wonderfully all over the place.
“I love these people. I came here as a little teeny bopper and played here for eight great years. It was great to be back and see the excitement in the building,” Barkley said of being back in town, despite complaining of the frigid temperatures.
Some highlights below.
Would he work to re-sign Andrew Bynum?
“No. I can’t give him money. He’s been hurt. First off all he’s a very good player, I don’t know him, but he seems like a nice kid. You can’t stay healthy. He’s only going to get older and even if he came back and played great for the next two months, I still wouldn’t give him $100 million. Now, if he’s willing to take one year and put some incentive bonuses in there, I’d consider that. I can’t give him a longterm deal.”
Would other teams give him a longterm deal?
“No. I don’t. The guy can’t stay healthy. Would you give him $15 million dollars?”
On Dei Lynam tying his tie… [video]
“Oh, no, no no. I know how to tie a tie. Dei was apologizing to me for her father trading me. See, her dad traded me. So every time Dei sees me, she goes above with her kindness because she feels bad her dad traded me away.”
On Chip Kelly…
“I don’t think anybody can like or dislike it. We’ve got to see is he going to run that offense that’ll get his quarterback killed? That’ll be the question. We’ve already almost killed RGIII. You’re going to get your quarterback hurt if you run him that much.
On Ray Lewis turning into “Saint Ray”
“I’m a big Ray Lewis fan. You have to admire the guy as a football player. All this crying and stuff is starting to aggravate Chuck a little bit. Let me explain why, and I’ve said the same thing before. I don’t like when guys start talking about God because God don’t have no favorite team. I’m pretty sure God likes Tom Brady. You won because your team played better. I said the same thing last year about Tebow. God don’t like Tim Tebow more than he do other players. I always get a little upset when guys talk about God all the time.”
And perhaps his best line of the whole interview, in regards to Manti Te’o:
“I’m going to say some racial stuff right now. And it’s not racist, but you’ve got to listen to me. It’s different when you’re black and when you’re white. If you’re black, you’re a cook. If you’re white, you’re a chef. If you’re black, you’re a gang member, if you’re white, you’re in the mob. If you’re black you’re a stone damn idiot, and if you’re white y’all give it names like ‘Catfish’ now. Y’all can’t just be making up words when somebody is a damn idiot, man. When somebody is a damn idiot y’all have to call him an idiot.”
Charles also touched on his friend Lance Armstrong talking on Oprah, went further in depth on Manti’s story and how it worked to his favor in the Heisman voting, and Tiger Woods wanting to get back together with his ex-wife, and Chuck also talks about how awful he has been at betting NFL football games the past few weeks. It’s worth your time to listen to Sir Charles preach. Full audio here.
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Dom on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return