Jan 17, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
I watched this TrueHoop video where ESPN’s Henry Abbott talks with Philadelphia 76ers Head Coach Brett Brown and the first thing that jumps out at me is that Brett Brown uses Skype. This just seems fascinating to me. Imagine a thoughtful Skype interview with another Philly coach like Charlie Manuel or Craig Berube.
(Update: apparently the video embed does not work. Try here.)
The conversation centers around “systems,” shooters, and the Sixers early development. Brown is quite candid. It’s pretty great.
The part that stood out to me is when Brown seemingly summed up exactly what his team is going through this season with no sugar coating. It came after a question about Brown’s involvement in developing his young players.
“I try to get on the court as much as I can and I do spend a lot of time, especially with Nerlens, as much time as I can with all of them. I try to be on the court and talk to them and engage different thoughts with them as it relates to development when you see their skill package is growing.”
“I love fleshing out the truth of what I think is important for them to grow. Evan Turner, what’s the evolution of his game? At 25 what does he need to do to get better? Thaddeus, Spencer, Michael Carter… I have strong opinions, I hope some of them are right, where you can share stories on all the experiences I’ve been fortunate to have. I’ve seen five championships, we won four of them. Playing in May and June is hard. There are human qualities, practice habits that players need to have in order to deliver themselves to that period of time at some stage of their career.”
“I love the development side,” Brown said. “I like the players knowing that we genuinely want them to get better. The dynamics that I have rolling around on this current 76ers team is dangerous if you don’t hit it on the head. You got people that think they could get traded, you got people think we’re tanking, I got young kids that never played a day in their life in the NBA, I got a potential rookie of the year. Those things are real. We talk about them all. The things that brings it all together is we’re going to give you opportunity, we’re going to work hard each day, we want to build a culture, and we want to make the individual better. And incredibly to me, that has been our compass and has kept us together in the middle of January after some fantastic wins and some humiliating losses. So that’s sort of been our benchmark but it’s all surrounded by development.”
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money