Apr 27, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
The Philadelphia 76ers decision to acquire a team in the NBA D-League is universally regarded as a great move for the franchise. Naming them the Delaware 87ers on the other hand… that’s certainly up for plenty of debate.
Just as the 76ers are most commonly referred to as the “Sixers,” the 87ers will be dubbed the “Sevens.” Lucky!
The organization unveiled the new name today in the great state of Delaware… where the team will play at the University of Delaware’s Bob Carpenter Center in Newark.
So what’s the deal with the 87ers name anyway? Something important happen in a year that ended in ’87?
According to the press release:
The team name “87ers” was selected in recognition of Delaware’s place
in United States history, as it was the first state to ratify the U.S.
Constitution on December 7, 1787. The 87ers name also is immediately
evocative of the parent “76ers,” a name similarly derived from
Philadelphia’s place in U.S. history with the Declaration of
Independence being signed there in 1776. The 87ers team will also be
nicknamed the “Sevens,” a nod to the way the parent clubâ€™s official
name is often shortened to the “Sixers.”
The biggest problem with the name, in my opinion, is the need to rework everyone’s favorite Sixers-related musical jam. 10, 9, 87ers! Just doesn’t have enough umph to it. Also: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Sevens! is kind of exhausting. Counting that high is challenging.
Welcome to exciting Delaware!
Welcome to Delaware! vine.co/v/bxhqFgF6egM
— Delaware Sevens (@Sevens) April 27, 2013
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return