Apr 13, 2011, 5:09 PM EST
Doug Collins has done a masterful job as head coach of the 76ers. He’s taken essentially the same roster Eddie Jordan had last season and turned a hopeless and rudderless 27-55 team into 41 win (and counting) team with a bright future.
How has he done it? Well, Sports Illustrated’s Michael Rosenberg has an outstanding feature on Collins which provides some unique insight into how Collins has righted the 76ers wayward ship. The most amazing part of his amazing story is the revelation that Collins has an unbelievable memory.
“There are benefits to being a human DVR. The 59-year-old Collins has not asked his video coordinator, Monte Shubik, for a copy of a 76ers game all season. At a recent staff meeting one assistant coach mentioned a loss to the Hawks in which Philly guard Lou Williams missed a dunk, triggering an Atlanta rally. “There was 5:14 on the clock,” Collins said matter-of-factly, then recited every play that occurred the rest of the game.
“I don’t know why I’m still skeptical,” Shubik says, but he was. And so, in the middle of the meeting, Shubik started watching that Hawks-Sixers game on his laptop.
Sure enough, there was 5:14 left when Philadelphia’s defensive possession started. The rest happened exactly the way Collins said. The game had been played almost four months earlier.”
The guy has a videographic memory. He can recall almost any play from the thousands of games he’s played in, watched, coached, or announced. He still remembers sequences from his high school playing days.
The story touches on how Collins has evolved from his early coaching days with the Bulls and Pistons into the player hugging man of patience we see pacing the sideline here in Philly. It’s a fantastic read and makes you appreciate the stability Collins has brought to the Sixers franchise.
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Mungman on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|Turbo on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|philsoc8 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return