Feb 17, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
Bad stories about awesome athletes can really suck sometimes.
Reports (some generated by his own camp) are now emerging that Allen Iverson is once more attempting a return to the NBA — albeit through non-traditional means.
Iverson is allegedly interested in signing with teams in the Caribbean, South America or even the D-League in an attempt to take one last shot at the Association.
A source tells ESPN’s Chris Broussard: “Allen only wants to play if there’s a possibility that it leads to the NBA,” the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “That’s the only way he would go to one of these lower leagues. He wants to get back to the NBA and leave the game on his terms.”
This renewed interest in basketball happens to come just days after a Georgia judge garnished funds from the former Sixer to pay-off an $860,000 debt to a jeweler.
Broussard goes on to claim that Iverson has not received any direct interest from NBA teams, but has has fielded some calls from the Los Angeles Lakers D-League affiliate — the Los Angeles Defenders.
As mentioned in the title, Iverson has also garnered some interest from a Venezuelan club named Guaros de Lara, though no formal contract has been offered.
So, if we’re getting this straight, a once-great-but-now-past-his-prime superstar is trying to recreate himself in South of the border? Where have we seen this before?
Clip definitely NSFW..
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Kunk on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return