Feb 20, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
The national media made a big hubub over the weekend about Michael Jordan turning 50 years old. Perhaps that is an occasion worth making a big deal about in the sports world. Who knows? Maybe they needed something to talk about other than Muggsy Bogues and meatball sandwiches. Maybe M.J. deserves that kind of attention. But one of our basketball heroes turns 50 today and we don’t really know how to honor the man.
The Level crew discussed Barkley turning 50 over the weekend and tried to brainstorm our favorite Sir Charles memories. It seemed the consensus, for better or worse, was that most of us remember Chuck for his antics off of the court after he retired from the game. He’s arguably one of the best sports broadcasters in the business and he’s absolutely one of the funniest, most honest commentators around.
I remember my older brother had pretty sweet classic red No. 34 Sixers jersey when we were kids. I wore a pair of Barkley’s all-black Air Max Nike’s with one of those sweet air bubbles when I played a CYO football game at the legendary Vet in seventh grade. They turned green from the turf. I was bummed. I remember Charles joking around with me and my brother and being genuinely awesome with us when we waited in line to get his autograph at the King of Prussia Mall as kids. I remember pulling for him when he played for the Suns, hoping he’d get that ring. I remember running into him in Vegas during All-Star weekend in 2006 and him shaking everyone’s hand. I remember him making jokes about butt implants on women being false advertising when I met him at CSN a year or two ago.
Mostly I remember him being hilarious.
I don’t have any crystal-clear memories of much of what he did on the basketball court though, which kind of bums me out. I might need to track down some old archives.
What are your favorite Chuck memories? And may I suggest you click around here to see some of our best Sir Charles coverage on the Level over the years. There’s been a lot of it.
And don’t forget to set your DVR tonight for CSN’s Barkley at 50 special. That should have some real gems.
|Simmonds17 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return