Oct 17, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Of course not. Don’t be ridiculous.
Technically, it is possible though—and not just in an alternate reality. LeBron James could use the early termination clause in his contract with the Miami Heat to become a free agent in 2014, at which point 30 NBA general managers would sprint to the nearest phone and call his agent. When the greatest basketball player in the world is available, you have to at least inquire.
So if 76ers GM Sam Hinkie gets LeBron on the horn, what are the odds King James could be lured to Philadelphia? You probably have better odds of getting struck by lightning while cashing in the jackpot-winning Powerball ticket, right?
At least one person thinks there is a route from South Beach to Broad Street. Eliot Shorr-Parks for NJ.com writes at length on the reasons why LeBron James in Philly—yes, the LeBron James—might not be as far-fetched as, say, the plot to NBC’s hit new show The Blacklist.
When searching for a potential landing spots, you have to think LeBron will be looking for a number of things. The checklist will probably look something like this
1) Ability to sign another top-notch free agent
2) Supporting cast
5) Franchise Stability/History
So there is why LeBron could sign in Philadelphia. Are some of them stretches? Sure. Is there a ton of factors that could change between now and then? Absolutely.
But one thing is a fact: the Sixers are at least putting themselves in a position to be in the discussion, something a good portion of the league can’t say.
Is LeBron coming to Philly? Still no. C’mon, man, get out of here with that business.
But we can dream. And as dreams go, this one is laid out pretty well. The 76ers most certainly do meet a lot of the criteria James might be searching for. If you’re willing to suspend your disbelief almost entirely, it’s worth a read.
>> LeBron to the Sixers? Not as crazy as it sounds [NJ.com]
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money