Apr 27, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
As AU pointed out in last night’s postgamer, the Charlotte Bobcats dished out not one, but two assists to the Sixers Thursday.
“Talent-wise, they might be the worst team ever,” Kevin Loughery, who coached the 76ers during the second half of their Keystone Kops-like campaign, said of the Bobcats. “We had more talent than they did.”
Though, in fairness, we’ll point that Loughery goes on to reference how the league’s talent pool has been diluted by a larger number of teams and players and that the Bobcats were, as he says, “playing with a lot of 10-day contract players” toward the end of the season. He even jokes that maybe the league should put an asterisk next to the record, considering the aforementioned impact of the lockout.
How miserable did it get when Rubin was coaching the team?
On Dec. 29, 1972, with the 76ers 3-30 and on their way to a 141-113 loss at Detroit, Rubin was ready to substitute for [forward John] Trapp, who was from Detroit and is now deceased. Trapp wasn’t too happy about that so he told Rubin to look up into the stands. One of Trapp’s buddies opened up his coat and exposed a gun
Yes, Trapp stayed in the game.
Loughery said he doesn’t know that story. But Fred Carter, a guard who led the 76ers in scoring that season with a 20.0 average, has insisted it’s true.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money