Nov 26, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
We recently wrote about Dr. J appearing on the Colbert Report television program and telling a tale of how he was once set to play a basketball game with President Obama and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. So it was extra interesting today to learn that the President was once a 76ers fan, probably back when Julius Erving used to battle Magic Johnson.
Obama was in California recently at the home of legendary Lakers point guard Magic Johnson when he dropped this bombshell. From Market Watch:
On a fundraising tour out West, President Barack Obama on Monday stopped by the house of basketball great Earvin “Magic” Johnson. According to a pool report, Obama revealed that he was being tailed on the trip by New Yorker editor David Remnick, who asked the president about the significance of meeting Johnson.
“First of all, understand that I was a 76ers fan,” Obama said, to boos from the audience.
The assumption is that a young Barack was likely engrossed by the magic of the high-flying Dr. J back in the day. How can you blame a kid for looking up to Julius Erving? It didn’t get much cooler than the Doc.
President Obama is now a Chicago Bulls fan, but that didn’t stop noted Republican Spencer Hawes from reacting to the news that Barack once was a fan of the 76ers.
— Spencer Hawes (@spencerhawes00) November 26, 2013
UPDATE: Here’s a full quote via Molly Sullivan:
Look, I’m not one of these people — hold on — I do not go to different cities and tell them, man, I love the Lakers, I love the Celtics. (Laughter.) I’m not one of those people who just says what you want to hear. I was a 76ers fan because Dr. J, when I was 12, 13, 14 years old, that was my guy. And so when he went to the 76ers, I became a fan of his. Now, I became a fan of Magic’s when he was in college at Michigan State, but I couldn’t just suddenly shift and be a fair-weather friend to the Dr.
|Marianne on Cole Hamels could miss all of…|
|teguhp63 on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|33 on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|sfsu on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return