Jan 21, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Nick Young never played on a particularly meaningful team in Philadelphia. But in his short time here, he did find a way to the hearts of Sixers’ fans in a way that only Swaggy P could — by shooting, shooting, and then shooting some more. And then probably shooting even more while falling out of bounds behind the basket.
Young finds himself now on a Lakers team playing without future Hall of Famer in Kobe Bryant. I can’t say I’ve tuned in on the regular to watch Swaggy do his thing on the west coast, but I do occasionally read about his exploits, as I do with many former Philadelphia athletes.
Turns out, Swaggy “has transformed from a streaky shooter into the Lakers’ most trusted scorer, a leading candidate for Sixth Man of the Year and a leader within the locker room.”
That’s according to an article by CSNChicago’s Mark Strotman, who finishes the piece on the enigmatic scorer with a fun anecdote and this gem from Swaggy himself:
His teammates still rib him for taking on Bryant’s role. When one reporter mentioned that he had scored 60 points in his last 45 minutes the past two games, a statistic in the mold of Bryant, Jordan Hill chirped in from across the locker room, saying, “Kobe who?” as if the reporter couldn’t have been talking about the five-time NBA champ. Chris Kaman, sitting next to Young’s locker, jokingly noted that “Kobe passes.”
All jokes aside, Young’s game isn’t changing any time soon. The Lakers are going to live and die by “Swaggy P” and his shot selection, and right now it’s yielding positive results.
“I can’t play like Kobe…I’m Swaggy P, baby. I like the flash, the jewelry,” said Young, sporting two diamond earrings, a designer backpack and a pair of kicks from his prominent shoe selection. “I’m a flashy man.”
A team living and dying by Swaggy P certainly doesn’t sound like a championship recipe to me. But it sure can be fun.
>>Nick Young providing flash, swag, and results for Lakers [CSNChicago]
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money