Apr 15, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
The final chapter in Doug Collins’ Philadelphia story is coming to an end. Multiple outlets reported late Sunday night that Collins informed the Sixers he will not be returning to coach on the final year of his contract next season.
To those who are familiar with Collins’ track record, the move is not surprising. Collins has never coached longer than three seasons at any stop in his career.
It’s safe to say the 2012-13 season did not go the way Doug envisioned it in Philly. After trading their All-Star in Andre Iguodala in addition to promising youngsters Nik Vucevic and Moe Harkless, the Sixers had lofty hopes for a bright future centered around Andrew Bynum.
Those hopes died a slow death every few weeks throughout the season when we learned of bowling injuries and the always present knee pain.
While his in-game coaching left some fans scratching their heads at times, Coach Collins was generally very liked and respected by basketball fans. His dealings with the media were typically insightful and honest.
His decision to walk away simply emphasizes the reality of the current 76ers team.
They’re just not very good. The road to becoming good is foggy and uphill with anti-gravity treadmills blocking the way. And that transformation likely wasn’t going to happen under Doug Collins’ watch.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return