The Sixers unveiled a mascot race over the weekend featuring Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross, and a cracked bell
Jan 13, 2014, 6:46 PM EST
The sports world is in an uproar over the Chicago Cubs unveiling a mascot on Monday known as Clark the Cub. But they weren’t the only major sports franchise to introduce a ridiculous mascot of sorts this week.
The Philadelphia 76ers followed in the great tradition of racing things such as encased meats in tube form, American Presidents, and of course, SEPTA buses in between periods when they hosted the Knicks this weekend.
What did the Sixers add to the grand racing tradition at sporting events? Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross, and a Liberty Bell with legs.
Call it colonial themed intermission entertainment.
This isn’t Phil E. Moose or even B. Franklin Dogg, and they weren’t introduced with the fanfare worthy of former Sixers’ CEO Adam Aaron, but make no mistake, there were humans wearing giant heads of historic figures and that of a bell on the court at the Wells Fargo Center over the weekend for your entertainment.
The Liberty Bell pulled an MJ flu game type performance in its debut and won the race despite running the whole thing with a cracked lip.
|Nick Russo on 3 Stars: Giroux, Voracek pace…|
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return