Aug 3, 2012, 2:36 PM EDT
Maalik Wayns! At some point over the last few days the Sixers added the former Villanova star to their bizarre roster. It was just the latest in a very strange summer. Their offseason has induced head scratch after head scratch. Clearly, they’re not built to make huge strides in 2012-2013 and they fittingly landed on Sports Illustrated’s list of most concerning offseasons.
Zach Lowe does a nice job running through all of the moves and pointing out that they didn’t exactly get any better. But the kicker… the kicker is that they’re flexible and probably (hopefully!) have some sort of longer term plan in place. After mentioning their potentially limited cap space next summer, he concludes:
That could change if they dump Iguodala between now and then, and I
suspect the Sixers have a few possible next steps in mind. They’ve
replaced Brand’s single massive contract with several mid-sized ones
that might be easier to fit in package deals, and mostly expire after
this season anyway. Let’s see what they do.
Yes, let’s see what they do next. But we have to watch them until they do whatever is next. That may be painful-ish.
Lowe’s conclusion basically goes along with the idea that the next season or two are going to be a real test to see if Jrue and Evan are worth building around to form a legit contender for the future. If not? Well, then we’ve got to come up with another plan.
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money