Feb 27, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
Turns out smoke = fire. While the deal will not be completed
officially until the NFL’s new league year begins on March 12, FOX Sports’ Jay
Glazer reports the San Francisco 49ers have agreed to send quarterback Alex
Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs.
The price? Kansas City’s second-round pick in 2013 – number 33
overall – and a “similar pick” in next year’s draft.
It’s a steep price to pay for a soon-to-be 29-year-old quarterback
with 1.5 good seasons out of eight. The first-overall selection in’05 has shown
a quite a bit of improvement since head coach Jim Harbaugh brought stability to
the 49ers’ organization. Now he’ll have be starting over with the Chiefs, whose
best playmaker (Dwayne Bowe) is set to become a free agent.
For the Eagles, it means a much more limited trade market
for Nick Foles, if there is one anymore at all. Foles would be worth more to head
coach Andy Reid than anyone else. Unless Foles can fetch a high second-round
pick, the Eagles will probably just as soon hang on to him.
Meanwhile, the rich keep getting richer. The 49ers are in
great shape with Colin Kaepernick as their starting QB for years to come, and check
out how loaded they are with draft picks this April. They are going to be a
tough out in the NFC for years to come.
If KC’s 2 to SF accurate, here are the Niners’ picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7. Also projected to get 4, 7, 7 comp picks. Unreal.
— Jimmy Kempski (@Jimmy_Beast) February 27, 2013
|dawkisgod on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Tom on The ‘Group of Death…|
|yishmeister on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|clmull on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages