Feb 24, 2012, 5:49 PM EST
So says Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh, a Reid disciple of nine seasons, but the Eagles’ former special teams and defensive backs coach wasn’t simply heaping praise on his old boss. In a conversation with Geoff Mosher of the Delaware News Journal, Harbaugh defended last year’s controversial decision to promote Juan Castillo to defensive coordinator.
“I think it takes kind of a visionary; it’s a little bit of a visionary-type choice. I can see where people wouldn’t understand it.”
Andy has been called a lot of things lately, but that’s the first time in awhile — perhaps ever — somebody chose the word ‘visionary.’ Harbaugh was also confident the Eagles’ defense will be ‘great’ next season.
Harbaugh’s outspoken backing of Castillo is not exactly a surprise. The two coaches worked together in Philadelphia for 10 years, and it’s not the first time Harbaugh offered strong support of Castillo. Last year, he predicted there is much more to come.
Harbaugh has enjoyed tremendous success in Baltimore, amassing a 44-20 record during the regular season, and winning at least one playoff game all four years of his tenure, though he wasn’t exactly a traditional hire either. He spent nine seasons as the Eagles special teams coordinator, and one as their defensive backs coach before accepting the Ravens job. Prior to his NFL experience, Harbaugh coached special teams and various positions at the NCAA level.
It’s not quite the same as jumping from offensive line to defensive coordinator, but even Reid was never a coordinator before becoming head coach of the Eagles. Just goes to show you can’t always judge a book by its cover. If he’s as great a coach as his peers believe, Juan Castillo will make it work in 2012.
>> John Harbaugh lends support to Reid, Castillo [Delaware News Journal]
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages