Sep 29, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
Well, we told you there was a chance to win. Actually, I said it, and I stand by it. I also said what actually wound up happening—an embarrassing 52-20 loss—would not surprise anyone either.
The Denver Broncos are an amazing football team, which should be fairly obvious to everybody by now. The next defense that figures out how to stop Peyton Manning and all those weapons will be the first, and there might not be a first this season. They may very well be that good.
Manning completed 28 of 34 passes for 327 yards and four touchdowns—no interceptions. Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker each caught two touchdown passes, and Knowshon Moreno picked up 78 yards on the ground and a score.
Okay, the Birds’ defense is not very good, which we knew going in. However, that doesn’t explain why Michael Vick could only lead the Eagles to 13 points in Chip Kelly’s offense, nor does it explain how that same offense was outscored by the Broncos’ special teams 14-13.
Vick started off sharp, but only wound up connecting on 14 of 27 pass attempts for 248 yards—no touchdowns, no picks. The four-time Pro Bowler added 41 yards on the ground to go with LeSean McCoy’s 73, although the shifty back was in and out of the lineup with minor injuries throughout the game.
The Broncos also scored touchdowns on a kick return and a blocked punt, so we’re not leaving special teams out of this debacle either.
This was an absolute beatdown in every phase of the game. Both teams had their backup quarterbacks into the game midway through the fourth quarter, which is about as bad as it gets in the NFL.
I imagine there are a lot of angry Philadelphians right now, even among those who felt the team didn’t have a prayer on Sunday to begin with. We’ll be going more in-depth into the Eagles’ many, many problems in the coming days, but right now we’re still venting.
Expected or unexpected, this was brutal to watch, and trust me when I say it will be even more difficult to watch again and sort through the details later.
Hey, at least the Eagles are amazingly only one game out of first place in the NFC East.
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages