Nov 26, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
Michael Vick and LeSean McCoy have been ruled out for Monday
Night Football. The 2-8 Carolina Panthers are three-point favorites against the
3-7 Eagles at home.
This is as low as it gets. The action in the stands legitimately
could be more intriguing to watch unfold than anything that takes place on the
It will be exactly one year ago tomorrow when spectators chanted
Fire Andy, then stormed out of the
Linc during the third quarter as if the building were on fire, all while the
New England Patriots were busy embarrassing the Birds in primetime on NBC. They
played to a final score of 38-20, though most fans that purchased tickets were
not there to see much, or in some cases any, of the second half.
What was amazing about this demonstration, besides how
incredibly loud and united the jeers were, is the game was still technically
winnable at the time. Nobody in their right mind actually thought the Eagles
were suddenly going to wake up and outscore Tom Brady, just as realistic people
stopped believing Andy Reid could turn this season around a month ago – but it
That moment was more important than anything that happened between
the two sidelines that night. By the fourth quarter, the seats were probably about
a quarter full, entire sections emptied. Angry fans streamed past souvenir
stands packed with bored-looking clerks who literally were not selling a thing.
I remember thinking at the time that it marked the end of an era, Reid’s era.
Jeffrey Lurie didn’t get the memo.
The Birds got trounced again a few days later in Seattle,
then remarkably went on a run as we all know, winning their last four games in
2011. Lurie called the wins fool’s gold during his speech at the end of the
year, but left the keys to Andy again anyway. In retrospect, you have to wonder
if the owner would have done that had the Eagles not won four in a row, had
they finished 7-9 or worse rather than 8-8 – if he essentially bought his own
At least you don’t have to wonder if he would do it again,
because this team – down to Nick Foles under center Dallas Reynolds, Bryce
Brown in the backfield, and whoever is playing left and right tackles this week
– doesn’t have that sort of run in them. Oh, they might beat the Panthers, that
is if the Panthers are truly that pathetic. Otherwise, it’s tough to envision
the Eagles stealing many more W’s.
None of which means the people are finished trying to send their
message. What will they do this time to show up Lurie on national television,
much like the way his teams have been getting shown up in the spotlight lately?
Call for Andy’s pink slip? Request Jon Gruden exits the broadcast booth? Leave
early? Never show up in the first place?
The possibilities are endless. Thankfully, this season is
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return